Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Delta of Disappointments

As I sit here in the Oakland airport awaiting my connecting flight to Portland, I can't help but to feel relieved. Why am I relieved knowing that I have to get on another cramped plane for the next two hours? Because this time I know I am not flying Delta Airlines. 

I just stepped off a Delta flight from Los Angeles to Oakland and not one ounce of me was satisfied with my experience. Forget the fact that the jet itself was the size of a sardine can, I can deal with that. Forget the fact that we were delayed, it happens. What I couldn't believe was how rude and unapproachable the entire staff was, and it started at the gate. As a brand that has struggled with this before and supposedly made attempts to break this image, I was shocked. This past year the airline company sent 11,000 employees to charm school - everyone from desk agents to supervisors. I figured customer service would be number one, that was not the case a few hours ago.

Mistake #1: Our plane was delayed and it took me getting out of my chair and going to ask someone five minutes before our boarding time to find this out. We were further delayed while sitting on the tarmac and not once did the flight crew ding their bell and alert us as to why.

Mistake #2: My travel companion (and father) needed something from the attendant prior to our takeoff. He politely broached her with his request as she made her way to the back of the plane. Instead of a simple acknowledgment, she grunted and kept stride only to show up ten minutes later with the item. 

Mistake #3: I kept my eye on her as she addressed other patrons and noticed that she didn't make eye contact with one of them, instead just filled their drink and practically tossed it onto the tray table or into their lap. I couldn't help but to feel bothersome asking her for a ginger ale. 

Mistake #4: I thought to myself that maybe it was an off night for the woman. I figured the maltreatment was isolated so while exiting the plane I made eye contact with the pilot (surprise surprise) and thanked him, allowing the brand a chance to save face. Instead of acknowledging my sincere gratitude for landing us on the ground safely and defeating my flight anxiety, he whipped his head around and began a conversation with the employee who too treated us with the same disregard. Unbelievable. 

It was a breath of fresh air when I stepped off the plane to the woman who offloaded my oversized carry-on bag. She looked at me, said thank you and wished me a good night. That brief moment helped cure my mood but I can't help but to think she worked for the airport itself, definitely not Delta. Delta seemed to send every employee to charm school besides those who mattered most; the ones I cannot escape for multiple hours while locked in a tube jetting through the sky. The least they could do is be courteous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment