Friday, April 27, 2012

Innovation Meets the Ocean: Innocean USA

Every once in a while you stumble across some information that creates an epiphany, or an "aha" moment if you will - sometimes it sticks with you and you can't let it go, like my own "aha" moment last week.

While traveling to Los Angeles last Thursday I surfed around agency sites located in Southern California to pass the time. A lot of brilliant agencies plant roots in LA including TBWA\Chiat\Day, Wong, Doody, Crandall, Wiener and 180LA, to name a few. I stumbled across a gem located just an hour south, practically on the beautiful Huntington Beach: Innocean USA.

Tell me the office morale isn't high.

Innocean USA is situated in a stunning office equipped with arguably the most beautiful view of any ad agency on the West Coast. Don't believe me? Check out their five-page office spread featured in Interior Design Magazine. Believe it or not it wasn't the sleek office that attracted me as much as it was the work produced.

Since focusing my efforts on advertising I have repeatedly looked to one company that I believe truly represents what the power of branding can achieve. Hyundai is a car company that I didn't give the time of day to in recent years, they were irrelevant to me. Over the past couple years I have watched Hyundai completely transform themselves into a relevant, consumer oriented and innovative automobile company. The cars look great, their customers are more than satisfied and the advertising transcends traditional thinking. Check out my previous post New Thinking New Possibilities: A Tribute to Hyundai for a more in-depth look at their branding efforts.

My epiphany moment came when I discovered that Innocean USA was the driving force behind this branding, which catapulted Hyundai to #1in brand loyalty. They were even behind the Equus Owner's Experience App - a new take on that traditional owner's manual that utilized the iPad found in every Equus's glove compartment. What's the best way to introduce a brand new car into the luxury market for the first time? Be progressive, think differently - Innocean USA: check and check.

After last Thursday I knew I had to make contact with them - thanks to Twitter and the Innocean team's engaging social media presence, I was able to do so. Working with that team on the Hyundai account would be a spectacular experience. Even if it was just sweeping up the creative scraps like an apprentice in a barbershop - I'd be obliged. Regardless of the outcome of my inquiry I am stoked to have found Innocean USA and cannot wait to see what is next for Hyundai.


No comments:

Post a Comment