Wednesday, November 23, 2011

[19] Kenny Powers K-Swiss Campaign Breakdown

It has been said that 90% of advertising is HORSESH*T while 10% of advertising is GOOD. I decided to put this to the test for one of my favorite campaigns, the new K-Swiss and Kenny Powers YouTube spots. Tennis shoe company K-Swiss teamed up with 72andSunny to help bring their brand back to life. They did so by bringing Danny McBride on-board as his hit character Kenny Powers from the HBO series Eastbound and Down. Throughout 18 spots Kenny Powers was designated the new spokesperson for K-Swiss and it couldn't have gone better.

YouTube is a platform that puts the audience in the driver seat to rate videos, I call it "people power." My method was simple; watch the spots and jot down number of views, likes and dislikes. After collecting the numbers I would break them into ratios to see if it fell in the horsesh*t or the good. My results were greater than I expected.

  • Total Number of Views (18 videos) - 4,327,525 
  • Likes: 12,832 (98% positive)
  • Dislikes: 253 (2% negative)

Idea-Book Breakdown

Out of all the 13,085 ratings, 98% of them were liked. A mere 2% had a negative reaction. If it was my campaign, I'd take that any day. The way I see it, it transcended the GOOD (10%) into the GREAT (2%). These weren't rankings from a panel of judges, these were the authentic feelings of the people the spots were intended for. The team at 72andSunny, including former Duck Matt Heath, did a hell of a job with these ads. They brought K-Swiss out of the retirement homes and hospitals and gave them back to the people. That's what I call "Lubing the Deals."

No comments:

Post a Comment