Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mud-Guns and Advertising

It is that time of year again, the political season full of bad ad's with too much copy and boring visuals. This may all be changing though with the new Romney - Santorum rivalry. I am not here to argue politics as I do not believe in doing so - just to highlight some of the new advertisements coming out of the aggressive political campaigns.

Typically when one candidate is knocking another with a television spot, you see unsightly pictures of the opponent parade across a screen to the sound of music only fitting for a daytime courtroom show. A stagnant voiceover points out all the candidates's wrongdoings in the past with the hopes of swaying voters with these overtly awful advertisements. You know, kind of like this one that the Romney supporters released against Santorum.



I had to dig a little deeper and see what Santorum had up his sleeve, and I was pleasantly surprised at what I found. His proponents recently aired a television spot, "Rombo," that had me engaged and laughing with it, not at it; an uncommon feat for most political ads. It features a man, who appears strikingly similar to Romney, hunting down a cardboard cutout of Santorum with an automatic weapon that shoots mud, or should I say slings it. After missing his target several times his mud-gun backfires on him leaving a nice little stain on his freshly pressed white button up. It is reported that even Romney liked the guy portraying him.


Sure there is some copy and a voiceover highlighting some negatives about Romney, but the tone is much different. By no means does any of this sway me one way or the other, but it does make the political season a little more interesting for me.

Just to show I am not biased towards Santorum's ads, check out one done by the Romney party that actually just focuses on Romney himself, done in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment